History of our churches and buildings

Many churches in England go back to Victorian times when there was a surge of church building partly brought about by the growth of the cities. One of our buildings, the church of All Saints, began in that way. Situated on the East side of Leeds it was built to serve a newly growing population. 

 St Philips Parish Church, Osmondthorpe

The parish of St Philips originated as St Pauls District Church in the parish of Leeds All Saints. The district of St Philip, Osmondthorpe was created out of the parishes of Leeds All Saints and St Hilda in 1932.

The architect was F.C. Charlton, a breaking ground ceremony was held on 13th August 1932. The foundation stone was laid by the Princess Royal (Countess of Harewood) in October of the same year. Consecration took place on 22nd July 1933.

St Philips line drawing

St Philips line drawing.

Laying the foundations

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Church altar

Robert Thompson, the Mouseman of Kilburn provided a large amount of his work for the interior, including the altar. This was carved from a single piece of oak which Robert Thompson had kept for years, waiting to use it for a special purpose.

St Philips interior.

 

 

 

 

 


 Printable Version
History of our churches and buildings
The history of All Saints